GATE exam (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) is a computer-based standardized test conducted at the national level in India with an aim to examine the understanding of various engineering and science undergraduate subjects. GATE exam consists of 65 multiple choice and numerical questions over a 3-hour duration. GATE Score is valid for a period of 3 years. Petroleum engineering Paper was introduced as a new paper in GATE in the year 2016. The subject code for GATE Petroleum engineering is PE.
General Timings: 9:30 am to 12:30 pm and 2:30 pm to 5:30 pm
GATE Paper is a total of 65 questions carrying a maximum of 100 marks, out of which 30 questions carry one mark each and 35 questions carry two mark each.
Examination Paper is a combination of 35 questions from multiple choice & rest 30 questions are from Numerical answer type. For 1mark MCQs, 1/3mark is deducted for each wrong answer. Likewise, for 2mark MCQs, 2/3 mark is deducted for each wrong answer. There is NO negative marking for numerical answer type questions.
General aptitude carry 15% of the total marks which consists of (5) one mark questions and (5) two mark questions.
Engineering Mathematics carry around 15% of the total marks and the remaining 70% of the total marks is devoted to the subject of the paper. It is totally 85% which consists of (25) one mark questions and (30) two mark questions.
GATE score enables students to gain admission to various prestigious PG programs in IITs and also get a direct interview calls for Prestigious PSU jobs in India.
PSU Taking through Gate are ONGC, MECL etc.
A Good GATE score is preferred for Technical interviews in many Private Sector companies.
GATE Exam score is usually announced in the 3rd week of March (around 40 days from the exam date). The GATE scorecard consists of the following :